I learnt a few things about Lexan this week.
- It's not cheap!
- It's very heavy.
- It's really tough.
Shaping the front window opening was a bit of a challenge. In the end I came up with the idea of clamping a piece of Lexan onto the framework on top of a layer of thickened epoxy. By doing so it would form a perfect fit. Next problem was cutting the front windscreen. There is just no way to clamp in in position to accurately mark it out, so I ended up screwing it in place and using a block plane to trim it to size. I'm not 100% happy because a couple of my screws did not line up. I may cut another piece of Lexan and redo it. I can use the existing piece in the aft washboard so it won't be wasted.
The side windows were much easier; again I trimmed using the block plane after rough cutting with a jig saw. This is how I know about (3) above!
With all that done it was just a question of mixing lots of epoxy, clamps at the ready and fixing the cabin top over the frame work. The epoxy had started to gell at 1800 this evening, but the temperature has fallen down into single figures tonight so I expect it'll be pretty soft still in the morning.
Once set up hard I can unclamp, trim the sides and start installing the hatch rails etc., which I have already ripped and milled (on my new jointer!).
More to follow.
Front window shaping
The top goes on....