Happy New Year
Happy New Year
I managed to get the side frames assembled and glued by bringing them indoors to cure.
I've finalised my design for the rear of the cabin, with removable washboard, and am busy working on this and the cabin top beam fitting, when I can grab a few seconds.
I expect with Christmas almost upon us, December will be a fairly unproductive month.
First thing is to make the side framing using the template shown in the plans.
Side frame fabrication
In a slight departure to the plans, the rear of the cabin will have a drop in wash board. I'm busy trying some different "mock ups" before I decide on the final design. This should keep me busy in my thinking chair for a while!
Rear of Cabin
More next month.......
Following on from where we left off last month. I finally finished off the internal painting and all the bits and pieces I wanted to do before decking. It was then just a question of mixing up lots of epoxy and banging home a few nails!
I'm very nearly ready to fit the decking, I just have a few bits of paint work to finish off and a few small gluing jobs to finish.
The vent trunk is now more or less complete (one of the painting and gluing jobs).
I decided to make an access hatch in the starboard side panel. Some others have made the whole panel removable, others have glued it permanently in position.
Side panel access
Johanna almost ready for decking.
So, what's cooking? All will be revealed!
Take a piece of dowel and slice into 20mm lengths.
Take one piece of styrofoam and cut to size.
Measure carefully and make recess in rear of foam to accommodate dowel plugs.
Position/mark and glue plugs to hull side.
Cut battens to length of foam pieces.
Place prepared foam over dowel and affix with battens.
Voila - foam installed! 1 down 13 to go........
After all that and some paint and varnish we're getting closer to getting the decks installed.
Just so you don't think I've abandoned the project, or the blog, I'll post the latest update.
The later has taken up quite some time as I devised a means of making the foam removable for inspection/winter storage.
I'll post pictures and further details shortly.
The time seems to have flown past, and I've learned an awful lot in that period. If I were to start again, I'd probably do some things differently; but that's what comes from experience.
Unfortunately work has stalled for a while whilst I recuperate from some surgery, but I'm looking forward to the warm weather and hopefully some pretty rapid building progress in the months to come.
The plan is to finish and paint the interior, get the decks on, sheath the hull and then finish off the cabin top. Hopefully all that will be done during the summer months. Time will tell....
Johanna, one year on.
My Paradox is now 10 months into build, but it seems like the last 5 have seen little progress. Slow and steady progress however goes on behind the scenes.
Nothing however as fast as the Jimmy Lu's build in Taiwan. A big congratulations to Jimmy on the completion and launch of his Paradox "Auspice"
Back here at home I've been working mainly on the internal features.
Not much to see (other than sawdust and shavings) but I'll post a few pictures anyway, taken this afternoon.
Cabin soles and side shelves
Carlins and sheer fairing
Foredeck trial fit